In Anne Arundel County, Maryland, a 52-year-old motorcyclist died yesterday evening after being struck by a Toyota 4-Runner on Defense Highway in Crofton.
John Carlton Winner, a Bowie resident, was taken to Maryland Shock Trauma Center where he was pronounced dead. Karleen Jeane Talbot, the SUV driver, was not injured in the deadly collision.
According to Anne Arundel police, the accident happened when Talbott tried turning left onto Defense Highway (from Priest Bridge Center). The motorcycle was heading up Defense Highway from the opposite direction. Talbot turned her SUV directly into the path of the 2006 Harley-Davidson motorcycle, which caused Winner to be thrown off.
Motorcycle accidents can be deadly accidents for the motorcyclist—even if he or she is wearing a helmet and the proper protective gear.
2006 Motorcycle Accident Statistics from the U.S. Department of Transportation’s National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA):
• There were 4,810 motorcycle fatalities in 2006.
• 88,000 motorcyclists were injured in accidents.
• Motorcyclists are 37 times more likely to die in a traffic collision than the occupant of car, truck, or bus, and eight times more likely to survive with sustain injuries.
• Speeding and drunk driving were among the most common causes of deadly motorcycle accidents.
• 47% of the people who died in motorcycle crashes were 40 years of age or older.
In Maryland and Washington D.C., anyone riding a motorcycle is required to wear a Department of Transportation-approved safety helmet. Across the U.S., 1,658 motorcyclists survived their crashes because they were using helmets.
Please contact a Maryland or Washington D.C. motorcycle accident lawyer if you or someone you love was seriously injured while riding a motorcycle because another driver was careless or reckless. The law entitles to you personal injury compensation. If you have lost a family member in a motorcycle crash, you may be entitled to receive wrongful death compensation.
Related Web Resources:
Contact the Maryland and Washington D.C. personal injury law firm of Lebowitz & Mzhen today to schedule your free consultation.