Four years after a 14-year-old girl was fatally electrocuted at a softball field on Druid Hill, her loved ones are considering whether to seek a motion asking a court reevaluate its decision to dismiss the Maryland wrongful death lawsuit against the city of Baltimore. Green, a Deer Park Middle School student, died on May 5, 2006 when she was electrocuted while stretching against a steel fence before a church league softball game.
The fence was in contact with an underground power line. Green grabbed hold of another fence and her body completed completed an electrical circuit. She was knocked down immediately and never regained consciousness.
In 2009, Green’s family filed a Maryland wrongful death complaint against the city of Baltimore, Del Electric Inc., and Baltimore Gas and Electric Company. A judge later dismissed the case against the city and BGE.
Now, the family’s Baltimore wrongful death attorneys are saying that on more than one occasion the city hired Del Electric to deal with electrical problems that took place at the field prior to Green’s death. Their attorney contends that this new information sheds additional light on the role that the city of Baltimore may have played as the owner of the premise where Green died. The family also says that following her death, the city never took steps to rework the electrical system at the field.
Maryland electrical shock accidents can result in serious injuries, including burn injuries, brain damage, heart damage, muscle damage, nerve damage, and tissue damage. If you or someone you love was electrocuted on another party’s property and the premise owner was negligent in causing the injury accident, you may have grounds for filing a Maryland premises liability or wrongful death case. Signs of electrical shock include burns, respiratory failure, spinal cord injury, cardiac arrest, headaches, hearing problems, unconsciousness, tingling, weakness, numbness, seizures, muscle pain, broken bones, deformity, and heart arrhythmia.
Answers Sought In Girl’s Death, Baltimore Sun, September 9, 2010
Family of Girl Electrocuted at Baltimore Softball Field to Return to Court, ABC2, May 12, 2010
Related Web Resources:
Electrical Injuries, eMedicine
City of Baltimore, Maryland