The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide and What Can Be Done to Prevent Exposure

Carbon monoxide is a colorless and odorless gas that is emitted through chemical reactions that occur during the operation of certain machinery. For example, carbon monoxide is a byproduct that is emitted when running cars and trucks, gas ranges, furnaces, grills, stoves, and lanterns. Most homes and business contain at least one appliance that emits carbon monoxide.

Indoor PoolCarbon monoxide is toxic to humans, and if present in sufficient amounts, it can result in death. Carbon monoxide tends to build up in areas without sufficient ventilation. The side effects of carbon monoxide poisoning are headaches, dizziness, stomach aches, fatigue, weakness, and confusion. Often, those suffering from carbon monoxide poisoning feel as though they are intoxicated and want to go to sleep.

Carbon monoxide is responsible for more than 20,000 emergency room visits each year and an additional 400 deaths. The young and the elderly are most at risk for carbon monoxide poisoning, but all ages are at risk. While the gas is very dangerous, carbon monoxide detectors are very effective at detecting abnormally high levels of the gas in the air, and they can alert guests and residents that they need to evacuate when carbon monoxide levels get dangerously high. However, not all states require homes and businesses to install carbon monoxide detectors.

Suspected Carbon Monoxide Leak in Michigan Hotel Kills One, Injures 13 Others

Earlier this month in Michigan, one young boy was killed and another 13 people were hospitalized after they were exposed to what was believed to be carbon monoxide in a hotel’s indoor swimming pool. According to a local news source reporting on the tragedy, hotel workers discovered the unconscious guests around the pool.

Evidently, authorities conducted a carbon monoxide test and discovered that the air in the room contained 800 parts per million of carbon monoxide. The standard level is 35 parts per million. The hotel did not have a carbon monoxide detector installed in the pool room, and it was not actually required to have one installed until April 20 of this year. Unfortunately, this incident occurred just a few weeks before the hotel was required to install a detector.

The exact cause of the high carbon monoxide levels has not yet been determined by authorities; however, an ongoing investigation is underway.

Have You Been Injured on Another Party’s Property?

If you or a loved one has recently been injured while on the property of another individual or business, you may be entitled to monetary compensation. The skilled personal injury attorneys at the Maryland-based law firm of Lebowitz & Mzhen, LLC have extensive experience representing injured clients in a wide range of personal injury cases, including premises liability lawsuits. Call 410-654-3600 today to schedule a free consultation with a dedicated personal injury attorney to discuss your case. Calling is free, and we will not bill you for our services unless we are ultimately able to help you obtain the compensation you deserve.

More Blog Posts:

Expert Testimony Fails to Establish Causation in Medical Malpractice Lawsuit, Maryland Accident Law Blog, March 27, 2017.

Maryland Medical Malpractice Cases Are Subject to Different Procedural Requirements, Maryland Accident Law Blog, March 6, 2017.

Contact Information