A 9-year-old boy and his mother have filed personal injury lawsuits against the Yellowbird Bus Company and the Cowan Truck Company after the school bus he was riding in collided with a tractor-trailer on I-95 in Aberdeen, Maryland on July 5. The bus had been returning from a field trip to the Baltimore Aquarium.
Manny Basco, who suffered a concussion, is one of just dozens of Kensington, Pennsylvania students attending the Norris Square Day Camp who were injured in the crash. At least 21 other people have filed lawsuits against the bus and truck companies.
According to Basco’s mother, Ruth, the boy is now too traumatized to ride a bus again.
The Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration offers the following statistics related to
1) Bus accidents that took place in the state of Maryland in 2004:
· 231 buses were involved in fatal and nonfatal accidents.
· 9 accidents involved fatalities.
· 181 accidents involved injuries.
· 41 accidents required towaways.
· There were 11 deaths total.
· 293 people were injured.
2) Truck accidents that took place in Maryland in 2004:
· 1,576 trucks were involved in fatal and nonfatal accidents.
· 83 accidents involved fatalities.
· 921 accidents involved injuries.
· 579 accidents required towaways.
· There were 83 deaths total.
· 1310 people were injured.
According to news reports, the driver of the bus was 18 years of age, and therefore legally too young to drive a bus across state lines.
A person who has been injured in a bus or truck accident may be eligible to file a personal injury lawsuit. A minor who has been injured in a bus or truck accident and their parents may also be able to file personal injury lawsuits.
The personal injury law firm of Lebowitz and Mzhen can assist you in handling truck and bus accident injury cases. They are also experienced at handling injury cases involving minors . Contact them for a free consultation.
Related Web Resourcess: