The Maryland Transportation Authority says that, according to the latest statistics, the bright pink panels that have been placed along the eastbound span of the Bay Bridge are decreasing auto accidents by helping drivers keep their distance from one another.
According to the MdTA, previous studies had shown that:
· 58% of the auto accidents that occured on the Bay Bridge were rear-end collisions.
· 70% of those accidents took place on the eastbound span.
· 46% of those accidents took place between Memorial Day and Labor Day.
Since installing the panels on the Bay Bridge in Stevensville, Maryland, the MdTA says that the number of collisions have been reduced by 30%.The installed panels are part of the state’s “Keep Your Cool & Pace Your Space” campaign launched right before the summer to decrease the number of vehicle-related collisions. There are 102 pink panels installed on the Bay Bridge.
In 2003, according to the Maryland Department of Transportation, rear-end collisions made up the highest percentage of total accidents among collision types (21.6%) in the state.
The National Safety Council says rear-end collisions are the most common type of vehicle-related collision which occurs in the U.S.
The type and extent of injury a person involved may incur during a rear-end collision may depend on the following factors:
· The position of the occupant at the time of impact.
· The weights of the vehicles involved.
· The road condition (wet, icy, dry) at the time of the accident.
· The speed(s) at impact.
· The head rest heights and position in the vehicle.
· The rigidity of the occupants seat.
· Prior awareness of the coming impact.
· Seat belts and shoulder harnesses.
Whiplash injuries can commonly occur during a rear-end collision. Some types of injuries that can occur as a result of experiencing whiplash during a rear-end collision include:
· Injuries to the head and neck.
· Brain injuries (generally minor brain injuries or concussions).
· Spinal and Clavicle fractures.
· Herniations of the spinal disks.
· Soft tissue injuries.
· Back injuries.
· Internal injuries – sometimes caused by lap belts.
· Abrasions (scrapes) – sometimes from the shoulder restraint.
· Jaw injuries.
· Chest injuries.
In many instances, symptoms of these injuries may take 24-72 hours to manifest themselves. Common systems for the above injuries include:
· Pain to the neck and back.
· Blurred vision.
· Loss of taste, smell, or hearing.
· Numbness or tingling.
· Difficulty breathing.
· Blood in urine or stool.
· Loss of motion to the area/stiffness/tightness.
· Visualized bruising.
· Shoulder and arm pain.
· Jaw pain.
The personal injury law firm of Lebowitz and Mzhen handles cases in Maryland and the Washington D.C. area where people have been injured in rear-end collisions and other vehicle-related injuries due to the negligence of another diver. Contact Lebowitz and Mzhen for a free consultation.
Pink Panels May Be Reducing Collisions On The Bay Bridge, Hometown Annapolis.com, October 14, 2006
Panels Help Avoid Crashes On The Bay Bridge, Delmarvanow.com, October 13, 2006
Pink Sets The Pace At The Bay Bridge, Maryland Department of Transportation, October 12, 2006
Rear End Collisions, Auto Accident Helpline.com
Whiplash, Auto Accident Helpline.com
Related Web Resource: