In Maryland, Prince George’s County officials are trying to figure out how there managed to be an exposed live wire at a Chillum bus stop. A six-year-old girl suffered electrical shock and “severe” third-degree burns on Saturday after she grabbed the wire. She was taken to Children’s National Medical Center where she stayed overnight.
A lighted shelter had been removed from the bus stop in February following several incidents of vandalism, and Prince George County’s Department of Public Works and Transportation says that the electrical current was supposed to have been turned off.
Susan Hubbard, a spokesman for the department, says that the county’s contractors all say that the electricity was shut down. A Pepco crew capped the live wire after the electrical burn accident.
The owners of public and private premises are supposed to make sure that any unsafe hazards or defects on a property are removed or repaired. When failure to fulfill this duty of care results in personal injury or death, the injured party or their family can file a Maryland premises liability claim against the negligent party.
Burn injuries can be caused by being burned or shocked by an electrical source, such as a live wire, an electric plug, or an electrical cord. Third-degree burns are the most serious kind of burns, and they can result in serious tissue or nerve damage. On the surface, electrical burns may appear minor, when in fact, the internal damage can be deep and catastrophic.
If you or someone you love sustained electrical burn injuries or another kind of burn injury because a property owner, an electrical company, or another party was careless, one of our Maryland burn injury attorneys may be able to help you.
Girl, 6, Burned by Live Wire at Bus Stop, Washington Post, June 10, 2008
Burn Injuries, Shriners Hospital
Related Web Resource:
Prince George’s County Maryland
Contact Lebowitz & Mzhen today.