Police say that the man who was attacked by actor Ving Rhames’ dogs on the movie star’s property was 40-year-old Jacob Adams. Adams had been living at the Brentwood, California property for around two years where he worked as the dogs’ caretaker.
The exact cause of death is still being investigated. Police are still investigating whether the numerous dog bites on the victim’s body led to him being mauled to death or the man died of heart failure.
An English bulldog and three bull mastiffs have been seized from the property. Rhames, who costarred in the Mission Impossible movies with Tom Cruise, was not home when the mauling took place.
If the caretaker did die because of the dog bites, he would be at least the 14th victim this year to have been killed by a dog in the U.S. About 25-30 dog mauling-related deaths take place in the U.S. each year.
Dog bites can be extremely painful and cause serious injury or death to the victim. A person who is attacked by the dog owned by another person might have grounds to file a personal injury claim, a dog bite lawsuit, a wrongful death case, or an unsafe premises/premises liability claim against the negligent party.
Peteducation.com offers a number of suggestions for reducing the chances of your dog biting someone, including the following:
• Spay or neuter your dog. Spayed or neutered dogs are three times less likely to bite than intact dogs.
• Socialize your dog. Introduce your dog to many different types of people and situations.
• Train your dog. Participating in puppy socialization and dog training classes is an excellent way to help you and your dog learn good obedience skills.
• Teach your dog appropriate behavior. Avoid playing aggressive games with your dog such as wrestling, tug-of-war, or ‘siccing’ your dog on another person. If your dog exhibits dangerous behavior toward any person, particularly toward children, seek professional help.
• Be a responsible dog owner. Obtain a license for your dog as required by law, and provide regular veterinary care, including rabies vaccinations. For everyone’s safety, do not allow your dog to roam.
Police Identify Man Who Died in Dog Attack at Actor Ving Rhames’ Home, Voice of America, August 6, 2007
Caretaker, mauled by dogs, found dead at actor’s home, Los Angeles Times, August 4, 2007
Biting: Causes, Prevention, and Control, Pet Education.com
Related Web Resources:
Dog Bite-Related Fatalities, United States, 1995-1996, CDC
Maryland and the Washington D.C. area have strict laws regarding dog attacks. The personal injury law firm of Lebowitz and Mzhen has experience handling dog mauling cases and other animal attack cases in these areas. Our personal injury lawyers can evaluate your injuries, investigate the circumstances surrounding your accident, and help you file a personal injury claim against the liable person.
Contact Lebowitz and Mzhen today to schedule your free consultation.