Bausch and Lomb has announced a worldwide recall of its ReNu with MoistureLoc contact lens cleaner solution. This recall comes following reports from Asia and the US that most of the contact lens wearers who were infected with a potentially blinding infection called Fusarium keratitis used the solution. Bausch and Lomb is urging MoistureLoc users to switch to its other ReNu brand products. Approximately 5 million people have used MoistureLoc since late 2004.
On April 13, 2006 Bausch and Lomb asked US customers to stop using the product and recalled the product from American stores. The worldwide recall follows this announcement. A number of law firms in the US have filed lawsuits again Bausch & Lomb on behalf of clients who have been diagnosed with Fusarium keratitis after using ReNu with MoistureLoc solution.
Fusarium keratitis is a rare but serious corneal infection caused by Fusarium, a type of fungus. While Fusarium keratitis can be a serious infection, it is a rare disease. Fusarium is commonly found in organic matter such as soil and plants. This infection cannot be transmitted from person to person. People who have trauma to the eye, certain eye diseases, and problems with their immune system may be at increased risk for this type of infection.
Symptoms include blurred vision, unusual redness, eye pain, tearing, discharge, or sensitivity to light. If you experience any of these symptoms, you should return to your optometrist immediately.
The FDA and CDC are advising consumers to take precautions to reduce their risk for Fusarium keratitis through preventive practices for contact lens wearers that include:
· Wash hands with soap and water, and dry (lint-free method) them before handling lenses.
· Wear and replace lenses according to the schedule prescribed by the doctor.
· Follow the specific lens cleaning and storage guidelines from the doctor and the solution manufacturer.
· Keep the contact lens case clean and replace every 3-6 months.
· Remove the lenses and consult your doctor immediately if you experience symptoms such as redness, pain, tearing, increased light sensitivity, blurry vision, discharge, or swelling.
Resources on the Web:
Bausch Extends Lens Solution Recall Worldwide Reuters, May 15, 2006