Hagerstown Woman Injured During 2005 Car Accident Files A Personal Injury Lawsuit Against The Maryland Symphony Orchestra

In Washington County Circuit Court last week, attorneys for Elisa Devore filed a personal injury lawsuit against The Maryland Symphony Orchestra, Inc., Orchestra Manager Sharon Ahrens, and Ahren’s insurance company.

Devore says that on April 19, 2005, she was forced to swerve into a guardrail after Ahrens crossed a median on Interstate 70, west of Md. 66, and hit another car in a head on collision. Devore says she swerved into the guardrail to avoid hitting the two-car collision. She is also suing the MSO because Ahrens had just returned from a rehearsal with the symphony. Devore claims that she injured most of her body parts in the accident and that Ahrens’s insurance policy did not cover all the injuries she sustained. She is asking for $100,000.

According to the Maryland DMV.org, the state of Maryland requires three types of insurance coverage:

Minimum Liability

Maryland law sets the minimum levels of liability coverage that motorists must maintain:

· $20,000 per person for bodily injury
· $40,000 per accident for bodily injury
· $15,000 per accident for property

Automotive liability is essentially the monetary umbrella you need to have in place if you have been held legally at fault for an accident. In most instances, you will see the above figures presented by insurance companies as 20/40/15. When you break down the numbers, it looks like this:

· The first number is what insurance will pay out per person injured in an accident.

· The second number is tied into the first and reflects the total injury payout available per accident.

Thus, if an accident that you caused entailed more than two parties facing serious medical costs, a claims battle will ensue between those parties. Ultimately, if the $40,000 does not foot the bill, you may be sued in court for more money.

· The last number refers solely to property damage and how much per single accident the insurance will cover. This type of coverage reflects damage caused on a range of property types, from another driver’s dented vehicle to houses, garages, light poles, and buildings.

Uninsured Motorists Coverage:

Many states file this under elective insurance, but not Maryland. The state simply wants to make sure all gaps that can come up in the system are closed. Not only will having this type of coverage to go along with the liability save you a headache if you are in an accident, it saves everybody money in the long run.

Paying into an uninsured pot never leaves anybody stuck with a huge bill that never gets paid. You’re protected, other drivers are protected, and the insurance companies are protected.

The same minimum levels required for liability coverage are also what you will need to carry for uninsured motorists: 20/40/15.

Personal Injury Protection (PIP):

This type of insurance is popular in most no-fault states. So why do you need it in Maryland, which is a tort state? The answer simply comes down to having added security in case you are injured in an accident and are not able to work. This type of coverage will kick in and help you through. The minimum amount required is $2500, so that may not get you too far unless the injury is relatively minor.

But usually insurance companies allow you to max out the coverage at $10,000. Taking into account the cost of PIP, which is pretty inexpensive, the high end might appeal to many motorists.

Check the details of your health care policy because certain carriers offer coverage equal to or similar to PIP. If you have this type of set up then you are exempt from having to purchase PIP.

If you or a someone you love has been injured in a car accident due to the negligence of another driver, you should contact a personal injury attorney and find out whether you should file a personal injury lawsuit to seek compensation for your pain, damages, and suffering.

The personal injury law firm of Lebowitz and Mzhen can assist you with a free consultation.

Woman Injured In Accident Suing SMO, Herald-Mail.com, September 28, 2006
Maryland Car Insurance Center, Maryland DMV.org

Related Web Resources:

Insurance Requirements for Maryland Vehicles, Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration
Maryland Safety Highway Administration

Contact Information