Why are Motorcycle Crashes So Deadly?

Road accidents involving motorcycles are statistically some of the most dangerous and deadly types of crashes. According to a press release from the U.S. National Highway Transportation Administration, over 80% of reported motorcycle crashes result in injury or death to the motorcyclist. With numbers like that, motorcyclists should educate themselves on the most common causes of motorcycle crashes, and be vigilant in exercising appropriate safety precautions when taking a bike out on the road.

Motorcycles are some of the smallest motorized vehicles on the road, and the vehicles themselves offer little, if any, protection in the event of a crash. Cars and trucks have been designed with safety features in mind since they became widely used on American roads. Most cars include seatbelts, airbags, and are structurally designed to protect the occupants in the event of a crash. Motorcyclists do not enjoy the same safety features on their bikes. These safety deficiencies can be somewhat offset by the improved maneuverability and stopping distance offered by a motorcycle, but the fact remains that if a crash does occur, the biker is at considerable risk.

Motorcyclists have the ability to use additional safety equipment in the event of a crash. By far, the most important piece of safety equipment is a helmet. Wearing a helmet greatly reduces the risk of serious injury or death to a rider in the event of a crash. The Maryland Transportation Code, Section 21-1306 requires that anyone driving or riding on a motorcycle wear an approved helmet. The U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) evaluates and grades helmets that are on the market. Riding with a DOT approved helmet is important, as many less expensive helmets on the market today are not sufficient to protect a rider from an accident occurring on public roads or highways.

Taking a class on motorcycle safety can prevent Maryland bikers from making common mistakes that lead to accidents. According to the Department of Transportation, approximately 40% of motorcycle accidents in the country involve only the motorcycle. A large portion of the remaining 60% of motorcycle accidents involving multiple vehicles can be attributed to rider error. Maryland offers motorcycle classes, which can allow a rider to obtain a motorcycle endorsement on their Maryland driver’s license. Although this endorsement is not required for adults to operate a motorcycle on Maryland roads, it is highly recommended for any motorcyclist to obtain as much safety education as possible to preserve their safety on the road.

Are Motorcycle Accidents Avoidable?

Although all motorcyclists should take the maximum amount of safety precautions before operating a motorcycle on Maryland roads, some accidents that occur are by no fault of the motorcyclist. Many other drivers fail to pay attention to their surroundings, and negligently cause crashes that result in serious injury or death to a biker. Any motorcyclist or passenger may have a claim for damages against the other party involved in a crash, as well as the insurance company that has supplied bodily injury coverage of the motorcycle itself. Anyone hurt in a motorcycle crash should consult a qualified Maryland motorcycle accident attorney to discuss a possible claim for damages.

Speak with a Dedicated Maryland Injury Lawyer About Your Accident Today

If you or a loved one have been hurt or killed in any Maryland car or motorcycle accident, you may be entitled to hold the responsible parties accountable for your loss. The skilled Maryland personal injury attorneys at Lebowitz & Mzhen are dedicated to assisting motorcycle accident victims in obtaining the compensation that they deserve. We represent Clients across Maryland, including Prince George’s, Charles, Baltimore, and Montgomery Counties. For a free and confidential consultation with a lawyer from Lebowitz & Mzhen, contact us at 800-654-1949. We offer no commitment consultations and we charge no fees unless you win your case.

Contact Information